This week we talk Oscars with a brief discussion of the documentary-feature nominees and a more intensive review of each nominated short, as well as kvetch generally about the complicated relationship between documentary films and Oscar, and also interview Robert Bahar, co-director of The Silence of Others.
Oscar Shorts Reviewed:
- Black Sheep / 2018 (Director: Ed Perkins)
- End Game / 2018 (Directors: Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman)
- Lifeboat / 2018 (Director: Skye Fitzgerald)
- A Night at the Garden / 2017 (Director: Marshall Curry)
- Period. End of Sentence / 2018 (Director: Rayka Zehtabchi)
To see the video that accompanies our interview with Bing Liu – from the 2018 AFI DOCS festival – go to our “video extras” page. As always, you can find the audio of the episode on our “episodes” page, on iTunes, SoundCloud and Stitcher, and anywhere podcasts are generally available. Enjoy!